A note to writers
We have moving the bulk of our submissions to an email-based system.
Please send nonfiction to firstname.lastname@example.org and poetry to email@example.com. Fiction can use the form below.
Please understand that we cannot respond as quickly as we used to in pre-Covid times, so if you haven't heard from us in two weeks, feel free to follow up. If you haven't heard from us in six weeks, consider it a gentle "no."
Lilith Magazine welcomes submissions of high-quality, lively, original writing: reporting, analysis, opinion pieces, memoir, fiction and poetry with a feminist take on subjects of interest to Jewish women. Please do not send previously published work.
Here are some guidelines we hope will prove helpful.
IDENTIFICATION: Your name and contact information should appear on each page you send. Please also include a one- or two-sentence bio. If you don't include your name on the submission, we may not be able to get back to you!
PAYMENT: Writers and artists are paid for their work in Lilith, in print and on the blog.
SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSION: You must let us know If your submission is being sent to another publication simultaneously. And we ask that you please inform us immediately if a work you have asked Lilith to consider has been accepted elsewhere
ANGLE: Lilith is unabashedly feminist (not just a women's mag, but covers gender in general). It's a literary magazine. You can be literary and political and satirical, but Lilith looks for some kind of feminist angle.
WRITING FOR THE BLOG:
- For a blog pitch, we love to hear the basics of what/why/who cares: What's the focus, why this publication and why is this relevant now?
- If your piece is accepted, we will get back to you within 3 weeks with suggested edits. Please write in the subject line if the piece is time-sensitive (for example, tied to a particular event or holiday.)
- Short (500-800 words) is great--but longer is possible too. Good writing, even if it’s not breaking news, is always appealing to us.
- We typically pay $50 for blog posts, more if the piece also is used in the print magazine.
- We publish 5 or 6 blog posts per week and the magazine is in print quarterly.
WRITING FOR THE PRINT MAGAZINE:
- Features usually run 2,000 words, news briefs 500 words or less. Fiction should be under 3,000 words. Back-page pieces run 800 words. For poetry, please submit no more than 5 poems.
When the pandemic is over, we hope to resume accepting hard-copy submissions at:
119 West 57th Street, Suite 1210
New York, NY 10019
It is not our policy to return manuscripts sent by mail. We’ll contact you by phone or email if your work has been accepted for publication. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Lilith Magazine is looking for unpublished original stories with heart, soul and chutzpah, illuminating issues in the lives of Jewish women. Fiction submissions should be under 3,000 words.